what the Watson Family says about their LJ20 project:
I bought the rough LJ20 from a man who bought it at a farm auction near Bay
City, Michigan. That's all the previous history I have. It wouldn't run so we
towed it home. The aftermarket electric fuel pump had failed. a vacuum powered
snowmobile pump was installed and she ran. If you look close at the before
picture, there is a 6 gallon plastic boat motor fuel tank in the back. The
original fuel line had to be replaced and the fuel tank patched.
The only functioning brake was the emergency brake. A master cylinder kit,
relined rear shoes and some TLC to get rear wheel cylinders freed-up, and I now
have some stopping power. One of the front wheel cylinders has been stripped out
(SAE vs metric buggery) so rear stopping is all for now. The cheap, broken
plastic seats were replaced with institutional grade plastic (used school
cafeteria) seats, padded and vinyl covered. The vinyl top with snaps and clear
plastic window were whipped up on our home sewing machine. After using
fiberglass to patch a few holes in the flooring, I used blue 'grass' carpeting
to cover the floor.
Some of the body has been replaced. A previous owner must have been a duct
work fabricator because the body is made from galvanized steel. He had access to
some proper tin working tools and did a very good job. The windshield frame is
gone and I installed a lexon windshield. A manually operated windshield wiper
(from JC Whitney) was installed. The grill is made from plywood and the head
light bezels from cherry wood turned on my lathe.
I can't find any VIN on the vehicle. Only an engine ID and the 349cc
displacement stamped into the motor.
The patriotic paint scheme is just 'because I could'. I hope to get a
policeman to inspect it and be able to license it and legally drive it down the
road this summer.