are just to name a few. Your type of vehicle will also determine the size of
load you can carry. Make sure you check the towing capacity of the vehicle you
intend to use for your hauling. Never exceed the limit.
For instance, you wouldn’t try to tow an RV behind your motorcycle, right?
Well the same principle applies to other types of vehicles as well. Trying to
tow your horse trailer behind your car wouldn’t be a wise choice either. Take
the time to consider these things.
- Safety First
- Make sure that the size of your trailer hitch ball is correct
- Check that your cargo load does not exceed the recommended weight for
your vehicle and your hitch
- Make sure that safety chains and locks are secure.
- Make sure that your trailer wiring harness is working correctly
- Make sure that all parts are in working order
- Practice: Make sure you are comfortable towing
- Check that your load is balanced
- Check tire pressure on tow vehicle and trailer
- Make sure brakes are in good working order
- Make sure you have a spare for your trailer
- Adjust your mirrors, and watch your blind spots
- Slow down and avoid sudden steering maneuvers
You want to enjoy your towing experience. Accidents can happen but if you
take the time to make sure things are working properly there is less chance of
should also try not to buy the cheapest model of hitch. The quality is
important, and you will want to use your hitch for many years to come.
Once you’ve chosen the type of hitch you want to use, you should make sure
that the brand you buy is compatible with your vehicle. Ask a dealer or get it
installed for you, that way you will know that the hitch fits and is
Here is a brief list of hitches and what they can be used for:
- Ball Hitches: For light to medium loads.
- Gooseneck Hitches: Heavy loads.
- Fifth Wheel Hitch: Very heavy loads.
- Weight Distribution Hitches: Heavy to very heavy loads.
- Receiver Hitches: Very light loads (spare tire etc).
I hope this article helps you to choose your hitch. It can be a painstaking
process, but it will be well worth it in the end. You will have more freedom
and I’m sure you’ll thank yourself many times after you’ve installed it.