These trees had burned due to the super
heated ground. Recent ground temperature samples gave readings of over 1000º F
not too far from the surface.
Below is a few of many vent pipes placed into the ground to
release the gasses.
The gasses coming out of the pipe pictured below is hot enough to ignite a
piece of wood.
The constant threat of deadly fumes and
carbon monoxide that comes up through the ground and into basements and houses
had made living unbearable for some. Residents had complained of constant
headaches and nausea from the conditions. Those that feared for their
health and safety moved out. Some stayed. Some still remain.
Photos continued, please follow this link...